Monday, June 09, 2008

1 Cor. 9 Paul and His "Rights"

"Don't muzzle the ox who treads out the grain" (Deut. 25:4))
(Image courtesy of http://www.wcg.org/lit/images)

Is Paul Not Also Free?

Reading between the lines here (vv. 3-5), it seems that Paul (also Barnabas) was the target of criticism by some Christians in Corinth for accepting financial support from them.
1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord? 2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me. 4 Don't we have the right to food and drink? 5 Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Peter? 6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who don't have the right not to work for a living?

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk? 8 Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn't the Law say the same thing? 9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10 Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when farmers plow and thresh, they should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. 11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more?

But we chose not to use this right [when we were with you]. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 Don't you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord [Jesus] has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

This shows just how difficult it was for Paul to avoid unjust criticism from his flock. For we know that others thought his working for a living as a tent-maker was "unseemly" and betokened a kind of low-class vulgarity unsuitable for an apostle! Paul was able to follow either path, depending on what he sensed was best for his witness with a particular group (Phil. 4:10-15).

Paul takes up the argument here that he has rights as an apostle of Jesus that he may claim or choose not to claim. He first points out (vv. 3-6) that his critics grant the right to financial and other support to others who are apostles: why not also to Paul?

He then appeals to a principle found in the Old Testament laws of Moses (vv. 7-12), quoting Deut. 25:4 (in v. 9). Oxen when threshing were to be allowed to eat the grain at their feet while they pulled the threshing sledge. Paul rightly observes that this principle was not given just for the benefit of oxen, but applies to other workers as well, not the least to apostles of Jesus!

As if that were not enough proof, Paul then cites the example of the priests in the temple, who are allowed to eat parts of the sacrifices offered. When he then says (v. 14) that "the Lord has commanded", he means Jesus and probably has in mind Jesus' words "the laborer is worthy of his wages" (see Luke 10:7) in connection with his sending out his apostles to preach in Galilean villages.

Paul's Use and Non-use of His Freedom
15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to deprive me of this boast. 16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not misuse my rights as a preacher of the gospel. 19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
In vv. 19-23 Paul bares his soul to us and reveals the real motive for choosing either to use or not use his privileges as an apostle: he wants to win as many people to Christ as he can. What a wonderful example he is to us all! What is more important to y ou and me: using our "rights" and privileges, or winning someone to faith in Jesus? No contest!
The Need for Self-Discipline
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
Here's another thought! Paul sees his life and service for Christ as a race in one of the Greek games. He wants to ddo his best: he wants to win for Jesus! Winning a footrace requires determined and demanding training—and self-discipline. It means giving up lots of things for the sake of the one big goal: winning the race.

We shouldn't press the details of his metaphor here: Paul is not suggesting that he is competing with other apostles or other Christians. He isn't wishing to beat any other Christians out! No, the race metaphor only serves to bring out the points I have just explained—nothing more.

How is it with you? Are you worried about what you are entitled to do, while remaining a Christian? Have you become spiritually "flabby" from lack of spiritual discipline? Do you find yourself clumsy and uncomfortable in witnessing to others because of your own lax lifestyle? It isn't too late to make some changes—today!

No comments: